The title....just kind of one of those wierd things about shift work. You come to appreciate actually having a weekend on a weekend. Monday on a Monday...Friday on a Friday. I used to work at a job where you worked 6 days a week. What is that about. We used to actually have the phrase "oh man...its my second wedsday today" what is that all about?
So today was my Friday....Friday on a Friday. I got a great supervisor. He buys everyone starbucks on fridays. Super cool guy. He is way laid back.
So it started off slow. I started the day by doing some follow up work. The nintendo D.S. caper. There was a gal that had her nintendo stolen...I think I mentioned her before but if not I'm sorry...my mind is mush today I worked like 15 hours today...yikes. So...I had turned in the report and I originally had not had the vicim fill out a written statement. ONe of those things where some trainers would have me do statements on small thefts and others would just not even bother with it.....I chose the path of least resistance and didn't bother with it. I chose wrong....murphys law right! So when you get a report rejected you get a "correctional notice" attached to it and put in your mail box. I got it and was like ......damn it! Nothing major it just said to get a statement from the victim and try to contact the suspect who lived in town. The day that it happened I had tried making contact with him with "negative results" as we say.
So I went back to the victims house at 7:30 am and she was actually there and she filled out the paperwork. I then went over to the suspects house and attempted contact with "negative results".
My numbers were a little low so for the week so I decided to do some traffic enforcement and try and get a couple tickets. I'm not a big proponent of tickets unless someone really needs one. I just have a hard time being a total hard-A about things. I had no luck at all. All my favorite fishing holes seemed to be dried up!!!!! Darn you law abiding citizens! Nah thats actually a good thing right? I just couldn't find hardly anything.
My supervisor told me I had a ride-a-long waiting for me. Sweet! My first rider...it was a new employee from dispatch. I picked him up and we hit the road. He was a really nice guy. I had a great time.
It was wierd having someone there with me....I kept feeling like I needed to talk like Obi-Wan...you know when you watch cops they always show the cop driving and he's says something old school like "yep this jobs hard.....you just gotta take one call at a time, just keep livin...day by day". I actually had the opposite thing happen. I got a pretty good feeling from him and its one of those times where you just meet him and you feel like you can just be honest and up front........so he got in and I was like "alright man...well I've been serving since breakfast so you probably know what to do more than me!" hahaha, he laughed and it broke the ice so the rest of the time went well.
I drove around for a bit and I rolled up to one of our local places thats known for some usual suspect action. There is a secluded corner where people usually go to buy dope or enjoy other activity. I went up there and there was this old broken down blazer that had clothes draped across all the windows. hhhhmmmmmmm interesting. So I went and had a little chat with the occupants. They were just up to no good.....I'm not a salty veteren yet but even if you had no experience you could look at what that was and be like "hmmm probably up to no good" there was a guy sleeping in the shotgun seat....the rear seat was folded down and a gal was under some covers in the back......at 2pm? hmmmm odd. Drugs or sex or both. I didn't even bother playing the "hey whatchya doin" game cause you could just pick a lie out of the air and choose your own adventure...thats what its like. "Oh we are just hanging out". "Oh my car broke down so we are just waiting". "Oh I was tired so I pulled off the road" "Oh we were just waiting for someone". "Oh we were just talking about the economy" "discussing oprah" etc etc etc...like they are gonna tell me what the heck they are really up to.
I had a few mundane calls after that for a while...I also tried stopping a few cars. I like stopping cars for not having a front license plate...if you look on your green sheet of paper (your car registration) it says right on there "front plate still required". There are alot of cars that don't have a front license plate.......the guy that was riding was like "whatchya got" as I flipped on the car....I said "oh no front license plate not a big deal but you can sometimes catch some good stuff out of it". So I went up to the driver and he had the front plate in his lap and lifted it up to me. "OH been pulled over before for that cause thats what I was stoppin you for"....."yeah"...."ok well let me have your license and you can be on your way etc.........So I run his license and he is suspended! Sweet! You can arrest someone for that but then you have to deal with impounding the car and a hole mess of paperwork...he was pretty cool with me so far so I just wrote him a cite and gave him a court date.....I used the "i could take you to jail thing" and tried to sell the ticket to him...most people are happy when they dont have to go to jail...apparently not this guy....he was pretty hmmmm not happy with the situation. Ah well.
The popular kid:
A pretty popular kid at a local high school has been calling over and over about getting some threats to his life. He always says that "they call" and say that they are gonna shoot or kill him etc....we've been dealing with this guy for a long time and he is not giving us the full truth....we kind of think that he pissed off the wrong kid at school and is antagonizing him over and over and now he's been getting all this bully behavior directed toward him. Unfortunately anytime you get threats like that you gotta take a report....sigh. That was that and that but it took a long time...lots of I's to dot and T's to cross.
After that we got slammed.....report after report after report....no fun! I hate dayshift because of that. Its totally slow until about 3 hours before you are supposed to go home.
One guy came in who said he got ripped off. He said that he sells stem cells. I was like "excuse me....? you sell stem cells"?...."yeah stem cells". Needless to say we had a very bad language barrier.....from what I could gather after trying to talk to him for like 20 minutes is that he sells vitamin supplements out of his home that stimulate stem cells when you suffer from major diseases like cancer......right......... anyway this guy "bought" 2000 dollars of "cancer be gone stem cell awesomeness". My victim was so nice he let the guy write him a personal check for 2k and post date it for a month.
A month goes by and the customer comes back saying how rad the drugs were so he needs 1000 dollars more of the stuff and before Mr Vitamin had cashed the first check he gave him another 1000 bucks worth of stuff......another post dated check...sure your good for it..
OMG the account was closed....WHAT...it cant be...no way..insufficient funds...SHOCKING. I did what I could for the guy but there is not much you can do....they dude is probably in mexico by now.
The xbox 360 heist call.......kid and mom go out on vacation. X-buddy 13 year old wants xbox but doesnt have one....vacation boy has one...they are out of town...helps himself to breaking and entering for the box.......kid/mom comes home from vacation....omg xbox gone...kid: i bet so and so took it.....goes over to so and so's house....omg there it is in his window! Call police. My partner got there way before I did...the whole way I was trying to think through my all my criminal law classes....."what do I have...what crime...what juvenile clauses apply...etc etc". NO kidding my partner is there for like 45 seconds and I then show up and go inside and he's already got the kid in cuffs and reading him his rights. Thats some real veteran sh*t right there....knew exactly what he had...what kind of crime...what kind of probable cause...juvenile rights...4th ammendment rights...article 1 section 7 wa constitution clauses etc etc. Yeah my brain doesnt work that fast yet...hahahaha. Big pimpin...hope I can rock it like that sometime. It was like a pro-rodeo roper takin down a calf in 2.2 seconds. "Yeah good job man...I'll uh...go get a statement form for the victim....yeah...uh you need anything? ...uh you good man?"..."yeah i got this".
Needless to say this was about 4:30 and I'm supposed to get off at 6pm. I ended up having to work till about 9 pm or so........it was my friday and all your paper has to get done on your friday.....weak. My brain didn't work by then.
Anyway...gotta run.....stay tuned. Sorry for the spelling etc...I'm sure its terrible tonight cause I can barely keep my eyes open!
More later...thanks guys
No comments:
Post a Comment