Sunday, July 26, 2009

I'm so sorry for your loss

Ok worked the last two nights. Friday night was pretty crazy. We had a festival in our city. Equal to say a county fair...that sort of thing. I don't know why but it doesnt matter what city you are in and what fair it is....they all have that same smell...kind of a deep fried food and sweaty carnie tinge. I have to admit seing the gravitron and super loop brings back some pretty fond memories of growin up.

It was an insane night. Lots of punk kids that think they are bad to the bone. One kid started beating up a female and a bystander broke the fight up...the kids followed him to his house and proceeded to berate him and tell him that they were gonna shoot up his house in retaliation etc...well be careful who you screw with cause the guy pulled his own gun out and scared them off. The guy was perfectly within his rights to do so and honestly I'm kind of glad that he did. These kids have absolutely no respect for their elders anymore...gosh look at me sounding like grumpy old fart head. So we ended up arresting the kids for the threats but it got so busy that we ended up letting them go...crazy I know but yes it got that busy...it was insane...they will still get charged but I was a bit dissapointed that they didnt go to jail that night....kids need to understand that actions have consequences. We ended up arresting about 4 people that night not including these bozo's. You know its a good night when you have to break out the new transport van paddy waggon style to go to the clink.

It was kind of funny cause we were trying to figure out if we had room in one of our patrol cars to get all these people up....usually you can do 2 pretty safeley but the 3 we had to transport was way to much...they cant ride up front with you......oh yeah...thanks partner...we have a bran new transport paddy waggon...where's the keys. Man that thing was awesome....great ride except there is so much heavy steel from all the interior cage work that the thing is super top heavy....I felt like I was gonna tip over at any second....the really nice thing was that you couldnt hear the people squakin as I rode up...I'm begining to like taking people all the way up to the jail...its a bit of a ride if the normal local jail is closed...I'm getting to know some of the jailers up there and I dont know....usually people hate going up there and I kind of like it.

One of the guys we took up there got busted by my partner for driving DUI...yeah he was driving on the wrong side of the road.....pull em over and he ends up being totally wasted plus he had about 5 warrants for his arrest. So his girlfriend well I guess they weren't dating ....according to her they are just "friends" yeah I'm sure he isnt holding on to any hope or anything......anyway he was the less drunk of the two...and considering how wasted he was she must have been tanked......anyway..there was weed in the car and a couple of pipes but you know what? she came out clean and told us about it and I tell you what.....honesty will get you out of alot of trouble these days...we didnt charge em with that stuff.....kind of a reward for telling the truth..a true rarity in police work. My momma always told me to leave a room better than you found it....kind of applies here...maybe they will be honest again next time. You would think that this gal would be totally thankful that she wasnt going to jail which we totally could have taken her there due to all the drug charges etc but instead she was mortified that her car was gonna get impounded....I cant afford it etc etc.....well maybe if you didnt buy so much weed you wouldnt be so shocked at 150 buck impound fee.....man I tell ya give em an inch and they take a mile.......I kept trying to tell her how lucky she got off but she was drunk and irrational.....

Last night was a ruff one:

I tell ya it was pretty slow......the festival is still going on and it was much calmer tonight then the previous night. I even stopped by and got a slice of greesy pizza....delicious......so about midnight came along and out of the blue got dispatched to a suicidal call.....lights sirens the hole 9 yards.

So we get out there and its one of those funky addresses that are hard to find....it apparently was ontop of a mountain....man this driveway could charge 50 dollars for a lift ticket to the top during ski season.....talk about awkward.....straining for oxygen I got my tubby butt up that hill.....man its like running in mud with all that gear on. Catch my breath......take care of business......get inside and downstairs there is a dad doing cpr on is 19 year old son.....it was just sad....you could see it in the dad's eyes how desperate he was to save him. In my experience usually by the time you have called 911 and they are talking you through cpr its too late....the good thing though is that it gives someone who is in shock a distraction and a task to keep their mind occupied.

anyway....he was straddling his son and the son was lying on his back motionless....the paramedics got there and took over...they put all kinds of tubes in him and tried a bunch of techniques but just were not able to revive him. He had hung himself.......the worst part is that he did it while the family was upstairs watching tv and relaxing........There was a rope hanging from a towell rack...I was surprised that thing even held him but it was an actual screw in job not just a flimsy one.......the dad had cut him down and started cpr......

I tell you dealing with dead bodies never gets easy. Fortunately I've had alot of them where its expected...nursing homes etc but this was a young kid.....there were other kids in the house so it just made it extra difficult.....sucks to have to play counselor and detective at the same time...any time something happens like this you have to treat the scene like a crime scene till you know better.....really hard to tell someone that they cant see their son/loved one if they really want to.......

Looking at a body is hard....I dont know how those medical examiners do it day in and day out.....I guess like any other hard/discusting job you just get used to it after a while...luckily all of them are super experienced and can kind of act as counselor to the grievin family especially in that earlier of the game.........we also got out a chaplain to help with the family....what a godsend cause we started geting lots more family that kept showing up adding to the chaos amungst their grief............it was just really hard....I felt so bad for the family.

The body luckily was in fairly good condition. Unfortunately there were some very deep ligature marks on the neck that looked so bad and awkward. Anway...it was a pretty tough call to say the least. That pretty much took up the entire night...pretty sad. Loss is never easy.


Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment