Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hi I'm a junkie...I'm driving the same roads your kids walk.

Had a rider today. It was one of the explorers. Its kind of like a boyscout program where kids can ride along and do mock scenes etc. Felt kinda good being on the instructor side of things...I found myself talkin to him like some kind of elite jedi warrior....enter cartman...yep you just gotta keep living day by day. lol. Its kind of funny cause I'm still really new and dont feel like I know what I'm doing sometimes.

A funny call. I was just driving around and I got flagged down by this passerby and he seemed distraught..I asked him whats wrong and he said that he had lost his dog...right next to him in the passenger seat sat his daughter who had an expression on her face like lassie just sat on a grenade. She was super sad. Her puppy was missing...bummer man. Well as I'm talking to him I get dispatched to a found dog call.....what are the odds of that timing...could you imagine if it was this guys dog...good oportunity to make some magic happen...I told him I'd find his dog and I think I know where it is....I went to the address of the found dog which was just down the road and sure enuff captain snuggles was A-o.k. Man you would have thought I was superman with better psychic powers. That kid lit up like a xmas tree. I tell ya you can do cpr on someone and bring em back to life and not get a thank you like that one. Very cool. I made sure to tell the guy that found him that he was the true hero. good times.

DV...the heat seems to bring out the worst in people....house full of people...takes 10 minutes of playing who's on first to determine how people are related to everyone else....*enter spaceballs line.....I'm your first cousin's sister's nephew's father's first roomate..** Long story short....boyfriend vs girlfriend got in an argument...side note..cutest little baby kid they had...could be on gerber commercials or welche's grape juice or something...absolutely adorable...anyway boyfriend vs girlfriend fight over money as is the case with most dv's. She get up in his face and he grabs her by the neck and slams her on the ground. Most of these guys are real a-holes but I actually felt a little bad for the guy...he was pretty ashamed of his behavior and legitimately felt bad...I usually never believe guys that do this but I did in this case....he admitted that it went to far and he shouldnt have done that.....anyway...he got a nice pair of bracelets and a tour of the city with a free stay at the grey bar motel.

The junkie....pulled a car over at 2am for driving without it's headlights on. I light him up and the guy blines it pulling over to the right slamming into a curb a couple times. He then proceeds to cross 2 lanes of traffic and pull over into a driveway on the complete opposite side of the road. Hmmm there's a couple indicators to write down for the report later. I contact him and the guy just looks stoned. As objective as you have to be in this job and you certainly can't make assumptions but its much like defining obscene :

In 1964, Justice Potter Stewart tried to explain "hard-core" pornography, or what is obscene, by saying, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced . . . [b]ut I know it when I see it . . . "[1]

Its kind of the same with druggies...after a while you can just about pick them out of lineup. This guy's face was ghost white...his eyes were a bit depressed, wattery, bloodshot in some cases.....they are always sweaty and greeezy lookin. I didn't smell any alcohol on him so I called our super DUI king. He came out and did all the field sobriety tests and honestly he did pretty damn good. The only thing he didn't do well at is there is a rhomberg test (no idea how to spell rhomberg) where you close your eyes, tilt your head back and estimate the passage of 30 seconds in your head....you then open your eyes and say stop when you feel 30 seconds have gone by. Well he went almost a full minute.

My partner also took his pulse which is not standard practice but drug recognition experts do it. His pulse was close to 200 beats per minute...now being nervous is normal but that is a bit excessive. Something just wasnt right with this guy. He said he hadnt had a sip of alcohol and absolutely no drugs.....hmmm remember hitting the curb with your car pal? My partner leaned over to me at one point and whispered this guy is hammered. I trust my partner he gets over 100 dui's per year and that is alot. He said its up to you if you want to arrest this guy but he shouldnt drive. I thought it over in my head.....man I didnt have much driving on him...no smell of alcohol...no odor of weed...did pretty good on his sobriety tests....i just dont know..

i almost let him go but I remember in the academy they talked alot about legislative intent when laws are drafted...specifically they talked alot about DV laws and DUI laws. They teach you so ways and reasons why you should not arrest someone due to peoples "rights". Thats why I laugh when people say the cops can just arrest anyone for any reason...so not true. It actually takes alot of wrong behavior to get arrested contrary to popular belief. DV laws (domestic violence) were designed to primarily seperate the two involved parties at least for the night. This cools the situation down. Gone are the days when you tell the couple "well we better not have to come back out here tonight or one of you is going to jail" too many people ended up shot after the police left that basically any time an assault actually occurs...someone is going to the clink.

With the DUI legislative intent its basically all about getting people off the road..so much so that even if you arrest someone you cannot be held liable for a false arrest lawsuit down the road....kind of a nice protection...one of the few we have left. So thinking of that I was like ya know what.....lets just get this guy off the road..draw his blood and if it comes back clean fine and if it comes back with something I'll feel better about myself.

So I put the bracelets on him...I asked him "hey man am i gonna find anything in the car that's illegal "uh i dont think so" bam...that might as well be like saying yes.

Now for a suspected junkie this dude has a clean car. Usually when you search these people's cars they all have a similar smell...it smells like water sogged Camel Lights, bong watter, and geek sweat rolled into one. I dont know why but they all have that dirty laundry been sitting in the hamper under a heat lamp smell. This guys car was first of all nice and newer and it was clean. So I'm searchin and searchin and I get to the passenger side and I find a rolled up bath towel....I unroll it and jackpot I find his junk kit. Its a zippered pencil pouch style bag...within I find your typical heroin user supply kit.....2 small bottles of rubbing alcohol, tiny cotton balls (used as a filter when they suck up the juice prior to vain injection), alcohol swabs (you know to be clean about things) for the skin, 4 hyperdermic needles, surgical tubing (used to turnicut your arm to get vain expansion) and 2 nasty thimble-like things that have burnt tar residue in them....smelled like tar heroin...it smells like rotten butt sweat....

yeah i dont know what rotten butt sweat smells like but that is the first thing that pops into my head.....yep rotten butt sweat--its heroin bookem danno". Man what a liar that pisses me off so bad...of course he denied that it was his.....oh thats right..you held on to this stuff foryour buddy....your buddy oops left his stuff in his car....what a jerk..you know there probably would be a good chance I wouldnt have charged him with that stuff if he just would have told me about it but I can understand not wanting to let the cops know about your junkie kit sitting right on your seat.

Plodding on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment