Thursday, September 17, 2009

Child Trafficking

So I got in the car...did my usual old check out routine. I must admit I've gotten a little slack on that....when you are on FTO (field training) you religiously check your car over before taking it out. Its almost like a pilot doing a pre-flight check of their aircraft before going out..cause its always that one day that you do not check something that something happens. I digress...

So right out of the gate I get dispatched to go help out on a call that dayshift was on. It was a DUI hit and run and they found the suspect vehicle. The guy was drunk and the other officer did most of the field sobriety tests and had him in custody when I arrived...he blew a .149 which is almost twice the legal limit. Now normally I would say thats alot but the guy was about 110 pounds soaking wet and he said he only had 2 beers.....I believe him ...usually I never do because everyone says I only had a couple when asked how much they have had to drink. But...this guy hadnt had anything to eat that day and considering how skinny he was I believe it.

He was pretty cooperative and had never been in trouble with the law before...I took him to the BAC machine (the official blow test). He lawyered up so I couldnt ask him any questions but sometimes that makes it easier. So I get all the way up to the jail (we dont have a local jail so they have to go up to the big county jail)...I get there and they are like ooooohhh he was in an accident yeah he is gonna have to go to the hospital to get cleared for booking.....sigh. Keep in mind its quite the process to get someone into the secure facility in the first place....so I had to go to the doctor at the ER and if you have ever been to an ER they sure are not speedy when it comes to anything.....and sure enough he got cleared...doctor asked him like 2 questions and took his temperature and vitals etc...sigh.

Anyway so we were waiting for the doctor and the guy told me....I dont lie to my wife or to the police and surprisingly I believed him...I said well you must have had good parents to raise you like that.....he said I dont know my parents I grew up in Thailand and when I was 4 years old I was stolen from my family and sold on the black market in Laos.....he said he spent 10 years trying to find his family with no success.......how sad is that ....I felt really bad after that about the whole thing......I mean really its not like he slammed into a kid or anything......unfortunately someone slammed on their breaks in front of him....well to bad its always the rear driver's fault for following to closely....sucks just a hard working guy and normally I never feel bad for these people but I actually felt a little bad for him.

He really wanted a smoke before going to jail and he didnt have any so I actually bought him a pack of smokes and let him smoke one before going to the jail....you wouldhave thought I gave him a 100 bucks or something....it was a small price and it felt like the right thing to do...considering he is probably going to serve some serious time for this....not like federal prison time but he will probably get 30 days in jail or something like that...not to mention possible job loss or something etc........ah well...crap happens right.....

Stolen car: agency assist call...got dispatched to help a neighboring agency with a dog track.....its where you sit on containment...basically a stolen car was seen and the cop turned around on them and they bailed on foot....so the chase was on with the k9 track...I used to get real excited about these but its pretty boring lately...you get assigned a spot and you sit there while the doggie tracks.....they actually found all 3 suspects and were taken into custody...I really had no part in it but it was still kinda fun.....

I had just about given up for the night and after I filled up my car with gas for the end of the night I was heading back to the station....I was pretty dissapointed cause I really hadn't found anything that night.....seemed like I just drove around the city in circles striking out running tons of plates......well I found a suspended driver right at the end of shift...that made me feel a little better!

Earlier in the night I saw a guy do a dip-$hit move turning from the inside turn lane across the curb lane 90 degrees really quickly into a parking lot.....I contacted the driver and the guy was just a jerk....I get up to the car and the guy is already a billy bad ass with me....saying nope I didnt do anything wrong you are just pulling me over to see if I'm DUI...although that would be cool if we were allowed to do that but despite his opinion I'm not allowed to pull people over for no reason.......well I give him a pretty heafty ticket for a couple violations and the guy says 'no you have to just give me a warning I didn't do anything etc etc" blah blah blah.....and then the guy has the nerve to tell me he is gonna go to the court and tell them that I was racially profiling....what an Ahole!

well thats about it....other than that it was a pretty boring night.

No comments:

Post a Comment